Followers

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Kigali Genocide Memorial

I put off posting about this because I’m not really sure I have anything to say about it.

We visited the memorial on 2/27/10 bearing roses and lilies, as is customary. Peaceful gardens surround mass graves that contain an estimated 250,000 bodies. The museum contains histories of other genocides, of the lead-up and sequence of the Rwandan genocide, a small section on those who saved and hid others, and videos of survivors reflecting as well as remnants such as clothing, bones and photographs of those lost. The photo exhibit of children is one of the most powerful and well-done exhibits I’ve ever seen. The museum was incredibly moving, and also interesting to compare to other memorials as an institution that seeks to educate Rwandans and visitors. One thing that struck me is that In contrast to Bosnia, where I’ve spent some time, Rwanda is addressing this period of its history very directly and with an aggressive education campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Visitor Stats

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP