Followers

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Imbuhu

In the last few weeks I’ve seen people selling bags of strange things that look like seedpods. Finally this afternoon I asked what they were and was told they were fruit. At 100 francs a bag it was easy to satisfy my curiosity. The little seedpods are as soft as leaves and easily rip open to reveal a cherry-like ball. Inside it’s the texture of a cherry tomato, complete with little seeds. The taste is somewhere between a cherry tomato and an actual cherry, with a hint of Thai spices. Pleasant and different. I’d love to see them growing on a tree.

3 comments:

  1. I ate one of these at a hipster restaurant in Berlin! The fruit was served still in the leaf things, which we unpeeled to eat them. Someone told me the name in German but I forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have them at the farmer's market in Somerville and call them ground cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if they are related to tomatillos...

    ReplyDelete



Visitor Stats

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP