Followers

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Acrobats and teenage hospitality

I made it to site! More on that to come, it’s been a bit busy and I don’t have much time to write.

A PCV friend of mine who’s been to Gisenyi a few times promised to introduce me to a group of acrobats. I don’t know what I was picturing when I heard there were acrobats in Gisenyi, but I was surprised. They’re a group of youth ages 8-20, mostly male but with some females. They practice after school. We met them in the evening, and they showed us to their clubhouse – a small house near my future temporary home with a sitting room decorated entirely with Christmas decorations, including a fake tree, lights, and mistletoe! (We decided not to get into a cross-cultural lesson about mistletoe.)

We hung out with four of them, talking in English and Kinyarwanda, and they showed us pictures of their performances. They’re self taught and I can’t wait to see them perform live (watch this space at some point for pictures/video).

It was then that I experienced the most incredible moment of hospitality – this group of teenage boys served us not only tea and sugar but beans and chapatti! They can’t possibly have very much money, and yet they essentially fed us dinner. A prime example of Rwandan hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Visitor Stats

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP